Wednesday, July 27, 2011

U2 in Minneapolis

It had been nearly 24 years since I last saw U2 in 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour.  I was excited to get the opportunity to see them again.   A storm was brewing over Minneapolis when U2 took the stage at the TCF Stadium in Minneapolis on July 23, 2011.  They took the stage with the countdown from David Bowie's Space Oddity, very cool entry.  They tore into their massive catalog with I Will Follow, Pride (In The Name of Love), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Vertigo, Sunday Bloody Sunday and a few songs I admit that I did not know.  They paid tribute to Amy Winehouse and dedicated Beautiful Day to Gaby Giffords.  During this song, the high winds and rain started.  Luckily we were on the same level as the club suites and were able to run under cover during the storm.  This prompted Bono to sing a few verses of Singing In The Rain while someone in the audience handed him an umbrella.  Finally the encores of With or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name and much to my surprise Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me from the Batman soundtrack closed the show.  Of the 58,000 people in attendance, very few left during the storm.  Very fun night. 
The stage which resembled a giant space ship
The giant screens above the stage

U2's entry into the stadium

Me, Holan, Kristie, Steve just before the show started


No comments:

Post a Comment